Wednesday 18 July 2012

Tips for Finding Work

I know how shocking it is to see the grocery prices for the first time. I actually was thinking: 'Yeah, I am going to lose some weight here by not eating' (Didn’t work out though ;-))


I have put together a little bit about my experience working in Australia, starting 2.5 month ago on Australia's West Coast. Arriving in Perth I wanted to get a job as soon as possible.

The first things I needed :

An Australian bank account
A Tax File number: apply online and it will be posted to you.
An Australian mobile simcard


In Australia workers from abroad pay 29% taxes from their wages. The financial year is from July to June. In July, August you can reclaim your taxes and if you get lucky you get back mostly all the tax you paid.


Tip: you can work right after you applied for your tax file number. Just tell your employee you applied for one already and hand it in afterwards.


Next thing I created my CV/resume. This is the second most important thing you need when looking for a job (after a smile). Make it short and clear. It's not important where you went to elementary school or the names of your family members.


Your CV should include the following content:
Work experiences
Languages you can speak
Nationality
Australian contact details
Days you are available to work
A picture isn't necessarily but it doesn't hurt if it's a nice one


After I finished writing my CV, I started to go to restaurants, hotels and coffee shops to ask if they are hiring. You need your CV and you should dress respectably. Don't create a cover letter etc.


Tip:Even if they say they are not looking for anybody at the moment, give them your CV anyway. Things can change quickly in a business.


After handing out MANY CV's, I got lucky and had a trial for waitressing at a restaurant that night.


Tip: Take your opportunities. If they want you that night, then make yourself available.


The next day another restaurant called. They wanted me to be a kitchen hand. It is the worst job I have ever done.
Nevertheless I took what I got and that’s why I had two jobs after only my second day in Australia. They were not the best jobs I have done but the pay was really good. I received $20 per hour during the week and $25 on weekends. Generally the standard salary for working holiday makers is between $17 and $22. My work as kitchen hand was pretty simple, hard though. It was all about washing dishes, carrying hundred of plates from one place to the other and scrubbing pans till my hands were bleeding.


Tip: If you are going to do pot washing, wear gloves!!


Looking back I can laugh about that shity job and my complaining every time I had to go there. Although I would do it again.






Especially in a cafe, there is a lot to remember. Make sure you take time to learn all the different coffees, wines, foods, etc. You will also need to learn how to carry at least three plates.


After 1.5 month of working in Perth it was time to leave and start my internship in Sydney. It was pretty easy to quit my job.


Tip: Out of respect for your employer, you should give 2 weeks notice in advance when you plan to leave.


Here in Sydney I started my internship and needed to find a job to help pay my living expenses.
Once again, I followed the above steps and also looked online for positions.


There are several pages which can help you find a good job. Most popular is probably gumtree.com.au and seek.com.au They offer a lot of jobs for working holiday makers.


If you want to work anywhere that sells alcohol you will need a Certificate called RSA.
I attended a class on a Saturday. It cost me $120 and I sat there for 7 hours listening to a guy talk about responsible service of alcohol. You can apply online at https://www.rsatrainingsydney.com.au/. Be careful as every state has different RSA certificates.


I went to have a look at the restaurants close to my hostel. I handed out 15 CVs in the one day and finally the 16th restaurant gave me a shot and invited me for a trial.


Trials are always exciting. You want to do everything perfectly. The most important thing is to ask questions if you don't understand anything, stay calm and listen to everything someone tells you. Keep going, it doesn't matter if you do something wrong. Everybody makes mistakes.


Tip: Don't make the same mistakes twice.


Even if your trial wasn't successful, it was an experience which might be helpful for your next trial.
Please remember, all trials MUST be paid.


I got lucky at my trial. They wanted me to come back. That is why I worked the whole weekend and I hope they keep me working for them for a little while. 

I hope you could read that even without any experience there is a way to get a job in Australia. Don't worry about your English skills. You can speak better English than most of the other backpackers looking for work.
It is nice working somewhere when you want to spend a long time in one place. You meet a lot of locals and it is surely a different experience than just travelling around and doing the normal tourist stuff. I definitely felt settled in Australia once I started working here.


To summarise:


1.          Get a TFN (Tax file number) ASAP. You pay 29% taxes, 
             but you get most of it back.
2.          Get a bank account and Australian phone number
3.          Wherever you stay, start handing out your resume near to 
             your apartment
4.          Go to every trial you can get--it is an experience
5.          Always tell them whatever they want to hear. Even if you 
             are not able to do it now
            (Like carrying three plates), learn it at home or Google how 
             to do it.
6.          Look for jobs online at gumtree, seek
7.          Never give up looking and trying
8.          Smile and have a sense of humor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment