Wednesday 25 January 2012

Palm Beach & China Town

Hi!


I was glad to see so many of you at last weeks Intern Meeting. It was my best night out last week so thank you all for that. I enjoyed chatting with you and listening to your Sydney experiences. I made some great new friends to hang out with and discover Sydney and surrounds. 


Steak Special

For everyone who couldn't make it we will meet again in February. I do not know where and I do not know what day but I'll let you know soon.


On Friday, eventually I managed to go to Palm Beach since I had to cancel last week due to the weather conditions. A friend of mine and I met at Wynyard Station and took the bus #190 to Palm Beach. I expected the beach to have a promenade with some small cafes and be packed with people...I was wrong. The beach is not developed and is very quiet. A nice change so close to the city. Aside from all the houses the headland is more like a national park.


As we walked to the Barrenjoey Lighthouse we saw what we thought was a plastic bag on the beach. When we walked closer we soon reaslised it wasn't a plastic bag but rather a beached fish looking very sad.  


Sad fish

The lighthouse walk is a loop. So you can either take the stairs or the steep pavement. We decided to take the pavement as I considered climbing up stairs would be harder. 




Barrenjoey Headland belongs to the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park which I intend to visit this weekend as the national park offers great hiking trails. From the Barrenjoey Lighthouse there is a magnificent view over Palm Beach. There is also a sign indicating that you can watch whales if it is the right season. 





On the way down we took the stairs. Some of them were quite old and slippery. We had to be careful not to slip and fall.




I was surprised about the different trees and vegetation which we saw throughout the day. Although it's only an hour from the CBD, the plants were all very different to what I've seen already.


After we spent some time at Palm Beach we headed for Avalon which is seven km's from Palm Beach. The track was quite disappointing as we mostly walked along the street.


Last weekend I also went to Chinatown and Paddy's Market. I enjoyed walking through Chinatown and trying food and pastries I have never seen before. There were also some 'dragon dancers'. To watch them is incredible with all their bright colours and flashy moves. They must have spent so much time practicing every move as it was so smooth. The Chinese New Year Twilight Parade will be on Sunday 29th January from Town Hall to Chinatown. I'll be there for sure on Sunday night...it's a date!


Until then...





No comments:

Post a Comment