Tuesday 6 December 2011

Watsons Bay

G'Day!

As I left for Watson's Bay on Friday morning everyone was telling me that it will rain and I should find something else to do. Honestly, I didn't come to Sydney to stay indoors despite the weather. So I left anyways and it was a beautiful sunny and windy day.

I took the 325 bus from Edgecliff to Watson's Bay Wharf (Single: $2) and started walking. First I climbed up The Gap in Sydney Harbour National Park. The view is amazing.
 

I took the track to my left and followed it all the way up. After a while I got to a parking lot with the first sign of the South Head Heritage Trail that would lead me to the lighthouse. It is not mapped very well so at one point I felt a bit lost but just kept on walking and got to the entrance which looked like this:


The actual track is not very long but worth it. It is a beautiful little walk on the cliff on your left side. On your right side is a fence which cordons off an Australian military base. In fact you find a lot of ancient military remains on the trail since Watson's Bay is the entrance to Sydney Harbour it had the function of protecting the city from enemies.


The lighthouse that marks the entrance is painted in bright red and white so the seaman could distinguish this one from another one that was only 1km further south. At the lighthouse it was so windy that I moved my picnic to the principle lighthouse keeper's cottage.



And then I did the Coastal Walk all the way to Bondi Beach via steep stairs and great cliffs.



Coastal Walks are generally a cheap way to spend a day and you can explore so many beautiful sides of Sydney.


I hope to see many of you on Saturday at our Christmas Picnic and the Blue Mountains Trip on Sunday. Hopefully the weather is kind to us. Further information can be found in the newsletter.


Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment